Sunday, 14 April 2013
What makes a good seamstress? I'm sure if we asked the seamstresses of the world there would be a million different answers! I think there are lots of things which make for a talented seamstress. For one there's experience, it's the time that you've been sewing for and honing your craft. It's like driving a car, you get your learners permit and then your provisional licence and then after some years your skills improve (although some people are bad drivers after many years too!). Sewing is the same really and I think no matter how experienced you are, you will always continue to learn ♥. I also think it comes down to the 'tools of the trade'; those items in your sewing room or little kit which make the process of sewing so much easier!
So here I'm sharing with you the items (some of them sacred like the sewing scissors) I have in my sewing kit - I won't include everything otherwise the post would be soooo long, but here's the top things I am always using out of my kit. ♥
A good pair of sewing shears - I love Mundial scissors, they make great knives and sewing scissors! I love these scissors as they cut beautifully and are a great fit for your hands. They come in both left and right hand versions which is even better. They also come with a plastic blade cover to keep little hands away. When I was little my brother cut up the loungeroom curtains and my mother was horrified. She'd spent hours making these velvet curtains (it was the 80's) only to find the light coming through when she pulled them closed; the lesson was learnt!
Snips - I love these, they are my favourite tool. Get a great pair as you will use them all the time and cheaper versions tend not to be as sharp. Snippers are great to trim threads and are quick and easy to handle rather than picking up chunky scissors. I have multiple pairs as I always forget where I put them.
Pins - sharp berry head pins are a must for pinning patterns and garments.
the more expensive the pins the better they are. To keep them nice and sharp use a pin cushion filled with sand to sharpen the heads when not in use.
Cutting mat, rotary cutter and sewing ruler - these are great to cut nice straight sleeves for some of my patterns. If you're cutting multiple pieces of fabric they're great too. Patchwork and quilting folk use the cutters constantly to cut all those nice geo shapes out. Remember that you pay for what you get.
The iron - washing and ironing fabric before it's used is a must! Ironing your pattern pieces, fabric and pressing your seams as you go results in a better garment being made. It takes extra time but you can definitely see the difference in your finished pieces.
Bias binding tool - if you ever need to make your own binding this is a great tool and it's cheap! There are bias binding machines out there now but I like this version as I buy most of my binding and make it if I need binding to match my dress fabrics. This tool allows you to thread the binding through and will turn the edges so all you have to do is press the fabric - no more burnt fingers!
Gutermann makes lovely thread.
Bodkin - a great tool to thread elastic or ribbon through casings and nice and cheap to buy. Or use a safety pin but thread the pin the opposite way in, that way the pin won't prick you as you thread the elastic through the casing and it won't get caught in the casing either.
Sewing presser foot for zippers - I use my Pfaff zipper foot to no end - it's one presser foot I couldn't live without. Zips are so easy to put in, once you have a little practice you'll be zipping zips in no time! Generally all sewing machines come with the foot, it's the foot that is half the size of the general foot.
And that's about the list of my favourite things. There's lots of other items out there to make the process easier. What's your 'favourite' tool you use all the time? Feel free to leave us a tip or trick that you like to use!
Saturday, 12 January 2013
I do love a new year. It's a time for reflection, even if we're not the overly reflecting type!
For Pink Tulip, we've had such a big 2012 and thank you all for being part of it. We're very proud of the work and effort we have put in to our little pink tulip over the past year and couldn't have done it without you all. You've made it extra special for us and we've met so many of you, it feels like we have a new bunch of friends. A couple of you have let us into your lives and shown us how lovely our pink tulip pretties look on your little ones too so thankyou!! We love seeing piccies of your little one's, they grow up so fast!
2012 has been great for us and it has also been a challenge, that's for sure. But if it wasn't challenging would we learn anything? Would we grow? Nope. Change is not facilitated by walking down 'easy' street. Adversity makes us stronger and a better individual for it. It enables us to grow, learn, ignore the bad and to stop sweating the small stuff. Yep, love not sweating the small stuff! So we have grown and we are emerging into the 'fresh handmade' business we are and love!
|Image Copyright pink tulip designs 2012|
My lovely seamstress mum Maz, will continue to sew and I'll sew when I can. So for the first half of this year we will no longer take custom orders. We do love our custom orders too, we love seeing how creative you guys are with fabric combinations and styles, but for myself, I can't put as much time as I'd like to into them for the first half of this year. Sometimes they take away the creativity we'd like to unleash on the world. It also means less time to sew for our market nights and online store. So for the first half of the year, we'll make you some gorgeous outfits and they'll be available on either our facebook page or our online store. We'll keep you updated with new releases and new fabrics. Yes you know that Heather Bailey lives here and the lovely Jennifer Paganelli also makes an appearance (we love gorgeous fabrics). We have some new styles in the works too.
|Image courtesy Heather Bailey.com|
So why is it we're changing the way things are? The reason is this...
I need to finish my study - it's my master's actually. I have been studying whilst sewing and working full time and the time has come to write the last of my masters, a research project. If only the project could be about sewing, I'd pass with flying colours (they'd probably tell me I'm way over the word count too!) However! It's not about sewing, it's about forensic science actually (yep science lover here) so I need to devote some much needed time to accomplish this.
We're also in the process of unleashing our new website later in the new year too. It's been in the works for sometime now but we haven't had the time to finish the final tweaks ♥
|Happy 2013!! (Image copyright pink tulip designs 2012).|
Posted by kate ♥ at 14:38
Wednesday, 19 December 2012
It's time to announce our giveaway winner! The winner will receive a gorgeous pair of size 2 ruffles featuring the rare Jennifer Paganelli fabric 'Elizabeth Rose'. I'll have some pics up over the weekend of the ruffles and they'll be hitting the post next week! We thank you ladies for entering, I can't believe how good the odds were for you - better than a Melbourne Cup ticket and the lotto! Drum roll please......
Congratulations Janelle! If you can message us on our facebook page or email us at email@example.com we'll arrange delivery for you. You have until Midday (qld time) tomorrow to contact us otherwise we'll have to draw another winner!
Thank you all for entering and we'd like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a fabulous New Year!
Kate and Marilyn, pink tulip designs ♥
Posted by kate ♥ at 19:59
Thursday, 13 December 2012
Here's to the end of 2012! We wanted to thank you all for supporting us, big and small, near and far in 2012! So to say thanks we're giving away a size 2 pair of ruffles featuring the gorgeous Jennifer Paganelli Elizabeth Rose fabric! (One of our favourites!).
|image by pink tulip designs|
To ENTER all you need to do is comment on this blog post by telling us your favourite Jennifer Paganelli fabric line (also leave your first and last name and email address with the comment). You can find all of Jen's amazing fabrics at her SIS BOOM page located here .
♥ The winner will be selected by Random Org. (terms and conditions are below).
♥ The winner will be selected by Random Org. (terms and conditions are below).
So a huge thankyou to you all, new and old fans and our regular customers, you have truly made our year extra special! Merry Christmas and have a fabulous 2013!
|copyright 2012 pink tulip designs|
Best of luck!
♥ Kate and Marilyn ♥
Entry is open from 9.00am AEST (qld time) Thursday the 13th of December 2012 and will close 5pm AEST on Monday the 17th of December 2012. The winner will be announced on our blog on Wednesday night (19th December 2012) at 8pm AEST. The winner of the giveaway will be drawn via Random org number generator. This giveaway is in no way affiliated with facebook, Sis Boom or Jennifer Paganelli. See the below terms and conditions. We must receive an email (at our email address of firstname.lastname@example.org) from the winner by midday AEST on Thursday the 20th of December 2012 or the prize will be forfeited and another winner selected. Only one entry per person per email address is permitted. The prize will be posted using Australia Post, in a regular satchel and will be registered.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
1.The Promoter is Pink Tulip Designs (ABN 86300369870).
2. Information on prizes and how to enter the Pink Tulip Designs 'Liz Rose giveaway' form part of these Terms & Conditions of Entry.
3. By entering the Pink Tulip Designs 'Liz Rose giveaway', entrants accept the above-stated Terms & Conditions of Entry.
4.Entry to the Pink Tulip Designs 'Liz Rose giveaway' is open to all Australian and New Zealand residents only. One entry is available per person per email address. Multiple entries are invalid.
5. To enter the Pink Tulip Designs 'Liz Rose giveaway', entrants must comment on the 'Liz Rose Giveaway' blog post at http://pinktulipdesignsaust.blogspot.com.au/ by entering/commenting their favourite Jennifer Paganelli fabric line entering their first and last name and valid email address at the one time. All entries must include a valid email address and entrant's name at the time the comment is made and be received by the Promoter by the close of business on the specified closing date.
6. The prize winner of the Pink Tulip Designs 'Liz Rose giveaway' will be selected via Random org (using 'random org' number generator) after entries close at 5pm AEST on Monday the 17th of December 2012. The winner will be announced on the Pink Tulip Designs blog http://pinktulipdesignsaust.blogspot.com.au/ on Wednesday night (19th December 2012) at 8pm AEST and the winner will also be contacted by email.
7. The promoter's decision is final and binding. As such, no correspondence will be entered into.
8. Unless expressly stated, all other expenses become the responsibility of the winner. The winner will receive free registered postage for the prize.
9.If the prize is unavailable, for whatever reason, the Promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize, with a prize of lesser, equal or greater value.
10.If for any reason a winner does not take the prize or an element of the prize by the time stipulated by the Promoter, or the winner does not reply by email to email@example.com by midday AEST (qld time) on Thursday the 20th of December 2012, then the prize or that element of the prize will be forfeited.
11.The prize winner agrees to the use of their name and email address for publicity and competition purposes, without compensation.
12.The Promoter shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever which is suffered (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) or for any personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with the prize except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
13. The prize is not redeemable for cash, credit or product and no exchanges are offered.
14. The Promoter, their associated agencies and companies associated with this competition take no responsibility for prize damage or lost in transit and the Promoter will not be responsible for any delay in delivery, damage to or loss in transit of the prize.
15. Each entrant's personal information ("PI") (name and email address only) is collected to enable the Promoter to administer and promote this giveaway and the winner. The PI of winners may be provided to third parties who are assisting the Promoter, including deliverers e.g. Australia Post. Entrants who fail to provide all requested PI, may be determined by the Promoter, at its sole discretion to be ineligible to win a prize. Errors and omissions may be accepted at the Promoter's discretion. Failure by the Promoter to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
16. The Promoter assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, corruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to, or alteration of, entries. The Promoter is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer networks and systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by the Promoter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site, or any combination of them, including any injury or damage to any entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this giveaway.
17. All entries become the property of Pink Tulip Designs.
18. The laws of Queensland govern Pink Tulip Designs giveaways.
19. The Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who the Promoter has reason to believe has breached any of these conditions, or engaged in any unlawful or other improper misconduct calculated to jeopardize the fair and proper conduct of the giveaway. The Promoters legal rights to recover damages or other compensation from such an offender are reserved.
20. If for any reason the competition is not capable of running as planned, including due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of the Promoter, which corrupt or affect the administration security, fairness or integrity or proper conduct of this giveaway, the Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process or to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition.
21. In the case of the intervention of any outside agent or event which naturally changes the result or prevents or hinders its determination, including but not limited to vandalism, power failures, tempests, natural disasters, acts of God, civil unrest, strikes; the Promoter may in its absolute discretion cancel the event and recommence it from the start on the same conditions at a later date.